Friday 31 December 2010

A look back and forward

Seeing as its New Years Eve just thought I would take some time to sit back and see how far I've come this year.

Looking back

This time last year I was out of my mind with worry as Becca was having a job to walk and her hip was extremely painful, plus the medication the doctor was giving her wasn't working :( We found out a few weeks later that she had Hyper Mobility Syndrome (HMS) along with some fluid on her hip hence all the pain. She ended up with physiotherapy which helped with a lot of the pain as her muscles were all tight as well in her legs from the lack of use due to the pain. She was diagnosed as having the HMS in her knees, hips, shoulders and wrists.

We even had a dog for a while but unfortuanately we had to have Timmy rehomed by the RSPCA as we just could not cope with him. Timmy was a lovely dog, a cross between a lurcher and a border collie; unfortunately he had the strength of the border collie rather than the quietness of the lurcher. The last straw was when he managed to pull my shoulder muscles and when Becca tried to walk him the last bit home he pulled her straight into a lamp-post bruising her collar bone for several weeks.

Later this year after a lack of support from school I went back to the GP and begged them to re-refer us back to CAMHS as I wasn't sure how much more I could take of her violent temper tantrums. School wouldn't except that she had problems with other kids at school, saying "girls will be girls and they are only kids after all". We managed to get a referral through pretty quick and when we were seen they thought, even from the first appointment, that she more than likely had Aspergers Syndrome. Came home and did my homework and read up all about it, what I was reading could possibly be the way she reacts to life in general. School were non to supportive, to the extend I was told by the Headmaster that I didn't need to go to CAMHS as she was just a manipulative child trying to get her own way and that if she had Autism she would kick of at school as well as at home!!!!! Due to this outdated view of Autism I decided to change schools locally for both Becca and Stevie, I've now found this was the best thing I possibly could have done for both of them. I have seen an improvement in both of them since we changed in September.

Also this year I had problems with Stevie not hearing, went for several hearing tests but he passed them all. Finally got referred to a Development Clinic to see a Paediatrician, this doctor realised there was something wrong with Stevie and referred him to CAMHS as well to be possibly assessed for Autistic Spectrum Disorder. She also found that Stevie has HMS in his wrists and thumbs which has answered another problem of why he doesn't write properly. With Stevie I spoke with his new teacher and expressed my concerns about the way he was and she said she would support me with anything that helped him, she also reported back the areas she was having problems with. Between us we have started to understand him more. When CAMHS suggested we use visual aids she took this on board and has worked with Stevie so that he understands what he needs to do and when its going to happen. The poor little thing was getting all confused because his normal routine at school was being knocked out of sync due to Christmas and practising then performing their Nativity play.

Also this year my eldest son James left primary school and went up to seniors. It really brought it home to me that he isn't my baby anymore (even though he'll always be that to me), that he is going to learn to be more independent and hopefully make more friends. So far he seems to be enjoying it there although we had a little hic-up at the beginning of the term with it being a church school and we're non-practising; he had to go to this school because the local council decreed it although we tried to appeal against it.

Looking forward

My goals for next year is that I am hoping to learn more about my children so that I can love them more than I already do. Hoping to give them as many opportunities to explore themselves as well as the world about them, hopefully these will be enjoyable experiences. If I can understand my children more than hopefully we can go forth and enjoy our lives to the full, if this means that we have a few fights along the way to get what they need so be it. I will do whatever it takes to get what they need to live life to the full.

Wishing you all a Happy New Year and best wishes for 2011, hope it brings to you everything that you want plus more to make it a brilliant year.

No comments:

Post a Comment